around the world

Thursday, May 15, 2008

In Baja.

Day:67

Miles: 83

Total Mileage: 3,290

Money Spent Today: $35 ($23 of which was my Visa)

Quick update, I left San Diego this morning bright and early at 6 am and made it to the border in good time. I have to admit, i did have some butterflies about going out of the country by bicycle, even though I have been through Tijuana a million times. In my college days, we would go there before we turned 21 and 10 bucks got you into a bar and covered all of your drinks for the night! So, we were frequent fliers.

However, I made it across the border with no problem, got my visa and was rolling. I have to say, only getting two days of light riding in in two weeks and spending every day in that period of time partying, eating and cavorting certainly doesn't do much to maintain stamina. Baja is pretty hilly, and on a few of the tougher climbs i swear i was sweating beer! But, I made it to Ensenada in good time and parts of the ride were just stunning. Light traffic with a very good shoulder on a winding, mountainous road that goes along the pacific is about as good as it gets. Add to that that Mexican drivers are about twice as curteous to cyclists as American drivers and you have a winning combo.

Also, as in every other time i have been to Baja, everyone I have met has been incredibly curteous and helpful. People go out of their way to help you out, and with my broken Spanish and their broken endlgish, we manage to work things out.

I need to get out of Ensenada as fast as possible though, this place reeks of fun! I used to lead tours to Mexico and I know how fun Baja can be.
I need to split, so i will add pictures later, but one last note. One of my best buddies from High School emailed me and has decided to join me for a month on my ride! He is flying into Mexico City from New Zealand the first week of June, so i need to hustle to make it there to meet him, however, it will be totally worth it as having a good friend to ride with will be great.

Thats it for now, and on the whole, riding in Baja is as fun as i thought it would be. More to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you FINALLY got started *haha* Glad the first day back was a good one... keeps you motivated for all the adventures to come!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it across the border and through TJ safetly :) Im glad people have been so helpful down there, you never know what you'll run into. My family used to stay at a place called El Faro which is a little bit past Ensenada. I know they have beach camping...Im sure you have it all planned out but just in case... http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/bajarvparks/elfaro.htm
thats the link to the website I found. They even have a lion and a monkey in cages in the front. ha Anyway glad youre enjoying your trip and Im happy that you will have a friend to join you! Of course the weather gets nice and warm once you leave San Diego...sounds like you didnt need warm weather to have a good time though!

Mama said...

Hey sha. Be careful with the water down there. It'll eat you up inside, so I hear.