around the world

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Time off in the Florida Keys, Miami and San Diego

Day: 62

Mileage: 85

Total Mileage: 3,124

Ok, well life has been going at a frenetic pace these past two weeks as I have been running all over the place trying to say my final goodbyes, and prepare to enter into Mexico.

I dang near didn't make my flight home on Wednesday. I had rode up to Palm Beach to visit some friends, which is a good distance away from the airport, and so on Wednesday I had to ride back, pack up, get a bike box (which is a box big enough to carry a bicycle safely on a plane) and then ride on a super busy road to the airport on my loaded bike carrying this massive box! Every time a car went by, i felt like i was going to get blown away as the box acted like a sail. Plus, it was very hot and humid and i had to go a long way so i was just sweating like a pig by the time i got to the airport. I had a bear of a time getting all of my gear on to the plane and it ended up costing an extra $100 over what i was quoted to get the bike on board, which really ticked me off. After all of the drama of getting the bike broken down and into the box and on the plane, i had to sprint to the gate and just barely made it on as they were boarding. I feel for the couple that sat next to me as i was pouring sweat and must not have smelled very good.

It feels like a million things keep popping up as i prepare to head south and i keep pushing back my departure date. I was originally going to leave today, then Monday, but now i dont think i will be on the road until Tuesday. But I am fine with that, if i have anything in abundance right now, it is time. The fact that I have been running around having a laugh and more than a few beers with my friends sure has not helped to speed me on my way either, if I am going to be totally honest ;)

I plan on heading south through Baja down to Cabo San Lucas, and from there i will sail over to Mazatlan, through Mexico City on into the Yucatan Peninsula. At that point I plan on heading south into Belize and on through Central America.

I am really excited and a little nervous to be leaving the country, which is weird. I have traveled abroad by myself plenty of times alone, and I have been through Baja many, many times, but the newness of going it alone by bicycle is definitely a little bit intimidating. I knew i would feel this way though, and the feeling will pass quickly once i am past the boarder and rolling through the desert. I have a feeling that this will be a pretty incredible leg of the journey. Life in Baja is nice and slow, there will be lots of sleeping on the beach, eating fish tacos and drinking cold beers.

I am so glad I came back to san diego for a few days before heading south. I came on a great weekend and was able to watch one of my best friends graduate from his masters program, which was awesome. A few of my buddies were also home from Iraq on leave, and so it was nice to be able to catch up with them as well. Plus, being able to see family and friends and run around town having a really fun few nights made me feel ready to set off for the next leg of the journey, which will also keep me away from everyone here for a long time.

I want to thank everyone who hosted me, bought me a beer and wished me well while i was home. All of your support and encouragement means a lot to me.

Here are some pictures from the Keys, Miami, and San Diego. I will miss California and all of the people that make this place special to me, but this trip will be a life changing event and in a big way, I feel like leaving the country will be the true beginning of it.

The Keys

There were roosters all over the place on the island.

I actually ate all of this food in one sitting. Its crazy how much you eat when traveling by bicycle.

Trisha and I on the beach in Key West.

The main drag in Key West.

Beautiful, clear water.


Trish and I went to a drag queen show, which was hilarious. I highly recommend checking one out.

I can honestly say this was the coolest guy I have ever seen. He even had a bird that rode on his head!

Trish got pulled into a street performer's show.

Thanks for having me at your place Chris, and for taking me to the Radiohead show, that as a great time!

Hanging out in San Diego with some of my best buddies.

It was great to be able to see so many of my friends.

We always love to go out and dance, San Diego has some great night life.

9 comments:

Zee said...

Hey Reece~ Looks like, and sounds like things are going great! It is good to see your pics of you in San Diego, you look happy!

I cannot believe you really ate all that food, did you?!

Well, good luck on the next phase of your adventure; stay safe and keep on having fun~

Lisa from Louisiana said...

Awright!!! My own personal reality show is about to start it's second season!!! LOL

Good luck Reese on your Mexican adventure. When you hit the beach in Mazatlan, you will be in the state of Sinaloa - which is where my husband is from.

Also, my son, David (ur couch-surfer host at LSU) started his month-long Officer's training boot camp this past weekend. I'll be mailing him a print-out of your newest blog entries so he can keep up with your travels. He said reading what you are going thru will help keep up his morale to continue to do his best at what he is doing.

P.S. i hope you have a can of Mace or something with you - you never know what banditos you may run across in a strange land. (you know this is a mother talking, now don't you? - i can't help it)

Anonymous said...

*haha*
I love the comment above me "my own personal reality show"... that is GREAT! I have to agree with her!

That is really sweet about how she is going to send him print outs.

You have touched a lot of people and inspired a lot in people Reece. I'm sure you thought this was an adventure that would change just your life... but instead you are impacting so many! I think it is GREAT!

I'm really proud of you!!!!

-the GIRL ninja turtle *giggle*

Unknown said...

Great times this weekend brotha!! We definitely rocked it like old times with only one sidekick missing. The living room isn't gonna be the same with out ya!!

TP said...

I have a fever and the only cure for it is more cow bell!!! I guess we're gonna have to find a new drummer now that your gone...rock band just won't be the same. Great seeing you again my friend and I wish you the best. Peace brotha

Anonymous said...

Wow dude!! What an adventure! I was on the infamous My Space and caught your post, so I came over to check it out.

I don't know how you came up with this stuff or how you fund your voyages but way to go brotha! Life is all about experiences and now is the time to go out and live.

Have a great time and be safe dude.

Your cross country, SLO, and SDSU bud....

Anonymous said...

Great weekend buddy! I miss you being down here and hanging out with the brothers. Good luck on the rest of your trip playa and let us know if there is anything we can do. I am setting up my skype playa!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely with my mom on the whole reality show thing! I've been telling everyone about this blog and what you're doing. I also agree about the mace. It's good for crazy dogs too, as my uncle can attest to from biking from Texas to Louisiana (which at the time we thought was a mighty feat) Good luck and God Bless on your journey!

Reecius said...

texas to LA is a big ride! I may have to get some mace, but i honestly dont think it would do me much good, jus tlike a gun, id have to wear it in a hoslter like clint eastwood to get it out in time to do anything with it. With most dogs they just bark, the ones that really come after you ,if you act tough and yell at them they usually back down, if they keep coming, i hate to say it, but a good kick will do the trick. Better that than getting bitten and possibly getting rabies. Even with my rabies shot i dont want to risk it.

Mike, Tony, Leroy, i cant sya how good it was to see you all and the rest of the gang again. I hope you guys can make it out to Mexico to hang out with me or failing that, South America somewhere.

Grant!!! So good to hear from you buddy! I hope you are well, it has been way too long! How are you these days? shoot me an email when you have a chance, id love to hear how things are going.

Lisa, please tell Dave to email me when he has a chance and let me know how things are going. I wish him the best in his training, but i am sure he weill excell at it.

Well, talk to everyone later =)