around the world

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cancun to Playa del Carmen.

Day: 118

Miles: 38

Total Mileage: 6,126

Downtown Playa del Carmen, a very beautiful place.

This little guy looked like he was having a blast in the water.

I love the new camera!

This is Lola, the killer guard dog at out hostel.


I am currently in Playa del Carmen, it is a very beautiful place and a lot of f un so I decided to stay and postpone my trip to Isla Cozumel. On top of that, I was definitely not over my illness. It was only 66 kilometers to Playa del Carmen from Cancun, but it was a very uncomfortable ride for me as it was stiflingly hot and humid and i was feeling ill the entire way.

As soon as I arrived, I knew i wanted to sleep in a bed and get some AC. The first two days I just slept and tried to get over this stomach bug. I felt better yesterday and hit the beach and it is just beautiful here. The water is aquamarine, and warm. You can swim for hours and not get cold in the slightest. It is very European here too as opposed to Cancun which is more Americanized. For my money, Playa del Carmen is much more enjoyable and less expensive than Cancun.

I have been hanging out with a couple of Australian guys and some girls from Israel and we have been taking it easy, eating lots of tacos and getting plenty of beach time. I like Playa del Carmen quite a bit and have decided to stay through the weekend. I will then go to Cozumel on Monday.

I am really enjoying the new camera, it has so many features that I am playing with and I think it will allow me to take a lot of pictures that I would not have been able to in the past. The main limitation with my old camera was that it only had a 3x optical zoom, which was really limiting. My new camera has a 10x optical zoom and a stabilizer to allow me to take better shots of things in motion and at a greater distance. It also has a host of other features such as increased exposure times, and greater manual control to allow me to play with images more, which I really like. My old camera was a Cannon A470 that is rated very highly for an entry camera, and my new camera is a Kodak EasyShare ZD710.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new pics... definitely bigger and nicer. I am sure you love it!!!

Glad you are having a good time...
Sure does sound like it!!!

Steven Andrés said...

Great photos - Never heard of Playa del Carmen but now I definitely want to visit there. Are there regular hotels for folks like me that aren't quite up for roughing it like you are? or is it just locals and hostels?

Mama said...

So, I realized that the advice (or directive) I gave you for Cancun was totally meant for cozumel. I don't know what I was thinking. So, just in case you were crying into your pillow every night thinking that you had missed your opportunity to grab the "save a drunkard in a pool torch," you haven't. So, stop crying Reece, and start rejoicing. Get yourself well and in shape for some heavy lifting, because it's always a big ole fella who decides to pass out in the pool. Have a lovely time.

Sarah